Performance is the product’s primary function. For mechanical seals, the performance can be measured by the ability to create a good seal without leakage.
Reliability is the probability that a product will not fail within a specific time period. This is a key element for users who cannot accept product failure before the next planned maintenance period.
Durability measures the length of a product’s life. A longer life of the mechanical seal contributes to lower pump maintenance costs and higher availability.
- An unexpected pump failure caused an urgent need for mechanical seals, but the OEM supplier cannot deliver in time.
- Management mandates reduction of maintenance budget without impact on quality.
- Recurring problem with a pump is causing major problems and modification is required.
Understanding the OEM supply chain
Some of the world leading pump manufacturers are Alfa Laval, Ebara, Grundfos, KSB, Sulzer, and Wilo. All pump manufacturers design, assembly, test, installation, and service of the pump as the complete assembly. Most pump manufacturers have in-house production of the pump casing, shaft, impeller, and other components, but do not produce mechanical seals. They purchase the mechanical seals from OEM mechanical seal manufacturers.
The world leading mechanical seal manufacturers are AESSEAL, Chesterton, EagleBurgmann, Flowserve, and John Crane. These major manufacturers have in-house production of the mechanical seal housing, springs, and other components, but do not produce carbon, silicon carbide, and tungsten carbide seal rings. They purchase the seal rings from OEM seal rings manufacturers.
A global leader of seal ring manufacturer is Schunk Carbon Technology. From its factory in Giessen, Germany, Schunk Carbon Technology designs, produces, and tests the highest quality carbon, silicon carbide, and composite seal rings for the world’s leading mechanical seal manufacturers. Schunk Carbon Technology also supplies carbon bearings and other components to the leading OEM pump manufacturers. To ensure seal ring product quality, Schunk has resources for materials development, performance and durability testing, and conformance to specifications.
(Link to article on carbon seal material production process)
- An unexpected pump failure caused an urgent need for mechanical seals, but the OEM supplier cannot deliver in time. (SUC has local stock of OEM material blanks from Germany and can machine to specifications quickly)
- Management mandates reduction of maintenance budget without impact on quality. (SUC)